Sunday, May 22, 2005

Some Silly Statements on the Sith

Yesterday, I went and saw Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith.

No, I'm not going to turn this into a rant on Belinda Stronach.

I've seen Episodes I and II. I found Jar-Jar Binks annoying, but not enough to want to drop him into a Sarlaac pit. I'm not entire fond of the idea of Coruscant having a sports bar and an American Graffiti-style diner (possibly a little on the anachronistic side), but I found the portrayal of the Jedi to be pretty cool. Needless to say, I liked this one. (Not so much, mind you, that I didn't want to take a restroom break, but enough to say I had a good time with it.)

Of course, considering what this adds to the saga as a whole, one can sorta snicker about what George Lucas must have been thinking. For example (WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!):

-- According to the continuity, it took at least 18 years for the original Death Star to become fully operational, and 24 hours from the time the Rebels got the blueprints to the time they found its weakness and exploited it. Boy, talk about a waste of government money.

-- Moff Jerrjerrod from Return of the Jedi turns out to be a better bureaucrat than Grand Moff Tarkin, if only because it took him maybe 5 years to do what Tarkin did in 18.

-- Now we know why, in the revised DVD of The Empire Strikes Back, Darth Vader wonders who it's possible that a son of Skywalker exists: he thought he'd killed that baby (along with the mother) decades before.

-- Vader must have had a lot of battles that forced him to upgrade to a bigger body in A New Hope; he's pretty small in his debut here. (Of course it's Hayden Cristiansen and not David Prowse in that suit, and Hayden's just not as big.)

-- Battling Mace Windu can really make one grow old, huh?

I'm sure there are at least a dozen others. But it's a sign of good moviemaking that if you don't ask questions about the story during the actual film, then it's doing OK.

Oh, and George still can't write dialogue.