Friday, July 15, 2005

When You Gotta Go, You Gotta Go-Go-Go-Go-Go

There are of course some strange reasons for going too far over the speed limit. I suppose I can be sympathetic towards this one:

An Ottawa man who was travelling almost twice the legal speed limit says he was simply trying to get to a toilet.

Hayder Mobarak, 19, classed as G2, or probationary, driver, was clocked at 195 kilometres an hour on Highway 417 while speeding in his parents Lexus just after 11 p.m. on March 14.

He had two friends with him at the time. No alcohol was suspected. He received a $926.25 fine and a 30-day licence suspension.

"I was going to the gym and I was taking a protein shake, and if you overdose it's really painful," Mr. Mobarak said. "This is why I was rushing to the washroom. It's a really good medical reason. I don't speed. That's the only speeding ticket I ever got. It's a serious issue. I did not want to s--- in my mom's car. I wasn't thinking. I was in pain."

Apart from admiring the fact that he got 192 kph out of a Lexus, there are two questions:

1) Didn't driving school teach you about how drinking and driving at the same time is a no-no?

2) And if you drank the shake before getting in the car, then why didn't you go before you left?